The University of Akron and the Akron community offer a number of resources for LGBTQ+ members of our community, 正在探索身份问题的学生, 以及校园里希望支持LGBTQ+学生和同事的人.
2022 National Coming Out Day
Tuesday, October 11th
Tuesday, Oct. 11, marks the 34th National Coming Out Day, which celebrates the LGBTQ+ community and raises awareness of the continued fight for equal rights and acceptance.
This day is also a reminder of the 1987 March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights, which led to increased LGBTQ+ activism.
The Department of Student Life celebrates LGBTQ+ students, faculty, contract professionals and staff at the University with this “Zips of Pride” poster.
“骄傲的拉链”的使命是帮助mg国际的大学家庭建立社区, 提高校园能见度，支持所有LGBTQ+身份. 这张海报的主角是LGBTQ+社区的成员和盟友.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Union of Akron provides a community space for all students under the LGBTQ+ spectrum as well as provide education on a variety of subjects for both queer students and allies alike.
- Email: email@example.com,
- Twitter: Akron LGBTmg国际 (@akronlgbtmg国际)
- Instagram: Akron LGBTmg国际 (@akronlgbtua),
Pride in STEMM
Organization focusing on LGBTQ+ students in STEMM disciplines focused on building community, raising awareness, and fighting for equity.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: Pride in STEMM- oSTEM (@PrideinSTEMM)
- Instagram: Pride in STEMM- oSTEM (@PrideinSTEMM)
Gay-Straight Law Alliance
The Gay-Straight Law Alliance of Akron Law shall endeavor to foster ideals of tolerance, respect, understanding, and equality in the community regarding the legal downs and privileges of all people, 主要关注那些自认为同性恋的人, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, or intersex.
Gay-Straight Alliance at Wayne College
The Wayne College Gay-Straight Alliance Club (WCGSA) is a service/learning organization providing students of all races, ethnicity, gender, and sexual orientation a safe place. GSA的目的是为学生提供, a club/organization on campus where they feel safe and secure with others who will not judge them for who they are or how they identify themselves.
- Counseling Center:免费为学生提供个别及团体辅导服务
- Counseling Center: Wayne Campus
- Dean of Students
- 平等就业机会/平权行动 (EEO)
- Office of Inclusion and Equity:这个办公室是为了增加mg国际的包容性mg国际首页承诺的影响, 为所有学生带来更广泛的理解和接受.
- 学术保留和支持办公室 (OARS): Through scholarships, academic support, 专业的项目和mg国际敬业的员工, OARS为您提供成功和从mg国际毕业的工具和支持.
- Title IX: For concerns about Gender-based (sexual) misconduct, discrimination, and/or harassment
- Gender inclusive housing options
- Gender neutral bathrooms map
- Name change processes (contact the University Registrar with questions)
学期中更换你的名字 & 如何与教授进行对话
We know that approaching your professors may feel uncomfortable while transitioning. 发一封电子邮件可以让对话更简单. Emails can be useful in explaining a difference in chosen name or pronouns than they may have previously known you by or that is on their class roster.
An example email might look like:
Dear Professor _________,
我是你的学生(此处插入班级名). I am contacting you today to let you know I had previously used the name (insert legal name here). 我的名字出现在你的花名册上(此处插入法定姓名), 但我选择的名字是(此处插入选择的名字). My pronouns are (insert pronouns here). I will be putting (insert chosen name here) on my assignments and would appreciate it if you called me that in class. Thank you for your support.
Support in and around Akron, Ohio
Summa Health Pride Clinic: Holistic Healthcare from providers trained in LGBTQ+ unique health needs and committed to meeting those needs
Margie’s Hope:为跨性别者提供社区和支持, nonbinary, and Gender nonconforming individuals, partners, 以及大阿克伦社区周围的家庭
TransOhio: TransOhio serves the Ohio transgender and ally communities by providing services, education, support, and advocacy, which promotes and improves the health, 俄亥俄州跨性别者个人和社区的安全和生活经验.
CANAPI: Akron based community organization that serves and promotes the well-being of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning (LGBTQ) community and persons at risk and/or affected by HIV through education, support services, quality housing, and advocacy.
Equality Ohio Legal Clinic 免费的法律诊所，提供改名和文书方面的帮助, consumer, family, 以及民事、法律和行政方面的帮助.
Equitas Health LGBTQ+ positive hospital system
WAKE Food Bank WAKE Food Bank is a Trans owned and operated organization that provides food assistance to those in need in Northeast Ohio. 他们的服务是免费的，谨慎的，和世俗的. 不需要收入或工作证明.
PFLAG Akron LGBTQ+社区的家人和朋友的支持小组
Plexus LGBT & 联合商会网络和教育团体的专业人士
Hope and Healing - Resources for survivors
Akron Pride Festival - Unify and affirm the LGBTQ+ community and allies in celebrating diversity and promoting acceptance of all individuals by defending human equity.
Out in Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics organization for LGBTQ+ students and professionals in the STEM fields
GLSEN Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network researches and develops resources for the classroom
GLAAD Guidance for media and storytellers, evaluates media representation, 并维护语言指南和词汇表
National Black Justice Coalition NBJC的使命是结束种族主义、恐同症和LGBTQ/SGL偏见和耻辱.
全国变性人平等中心 NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice
Dignity USA – LGBTQ+ Catholics
Keshet – for LGBTQ+ Jewish people
MPVUSA- LGBTQ+ Muslims
Gaychurch.org 列出你所在地区开放并肯定的教堂. Based on zip code. Also includes resources.
Quick tips for Faculty and Staff
To support students:
- There are many ways to create a culture in your classroom and office that shows LGBTQ+ students that you support them.
- 接受LGBTQ+主题的培训和教育是重要的第一步. If you have not already, or need a refresher, please do take the COURSE NAME on your Bdownspace page. This course goes over terminology, 如何支持转型中的学生和同事或可能向你出柜的人, and pronoun use. 咨询和测试中心还提供盟友安全区域培训. 一定要在有机会的时候报名. And, continue to pursue professional development to help ensure that you are providing inclusive, safe, and affirming educational practices.
- 假设你的班级里有LGBTQ+的学生. Speak, teach, and act as though not all of your students are cisgender and/or straight. 而不是用“女士们，先生们”来开始你的课程, say “Okay everyone, let’s get started” or “Okay, class.”
- During your syllabus class, it may be a fun idea to pass around a “Get to Know Me” class survey. 你可以问他们在这门课上最兴奋的是什么, 他们会担心在课堂上涉及哪些话题, what their pronouns are, and their chosen name.
- Post signs in your office to help convey to students as they are walking through the door that you are a safe person. This could be having buttons or signs with your own pronouns on it or displaying “The Genderbread Person” infographic on your wall or having a sign that says I support LGBTQ+ students.
- If you see or hear about gender-discrimination or discrimination based on sexual orientation, submit a referral to: dixiedoessport.com/help
To support colleagues:
- Like supporting students, there are many ways to create a workplace environment that support LGBTQ+ colleagues.
- 接受LGBTQ+主题的培训和教育是重要的第一步. If you have not already, or need a refresher, please do take the COURSE NAME on your Bdownspace page. This course goes over terminology, 如何支持转型中的学生和同事或可能向你出柜的人, and pronoun use. 咨询和测试中心还提供盟友安全区域培训. 一定要在有机会的时候报名. And, continue to pursue professional development to help ensure that you are providing an inclusive, safe, and affirming workplace environment.
- Show your support. Having empowering conversations as an ally can create an inclusive environment and helps to show that diversity is valued. You may not know who may not be out at work and these conversations can help to create an environment who people may feel comfortable in coming out. 如果你听到反lgbtq +的对话，说点什么.
- 不要冒用别人的身份或代词. 但是，也不要强迫别人出来.
The below resources are for further learning and exploration and represent a variety of experiences and viewpoints.
How to be an Ally
- Trans In College; by Z Nicolazzo
- 作者:Alok Vaid-Menon
- Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
- Queer and Trans Artists of Color: Stories of Some of our Lives, Edited by Nia King
- 《mg国际》作者:Gloria Anzaldua
- Transgender History by Susan Stryker
- Gender Outlaws by Kate Borenstein
- Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg
- Seasonal Velocities by Rya Aoki
Podcasts and short videos
- We are the Airwaves
- 科学Vs .变性人的科学
- The Queer Arabs Podcast
- Ted Talk:变性爸爸的感受
- What it’s like to be Intersex
- The Gender Unicorn Trans Student Educator Resources
- Understanding Gender
- Why We Say Latinx: Trans & Gender Non-Conforming People Explain by Raquel Reichard
- 土著性:抵抗征服与翻译 by Manuela Picq and Josi Tikuna
- 为什么我是非二元的，但不使用他们/他们代词 by Ashleigh Shackelford
- Transgender 101 (Everyday Feminism)
- How the Gender Binary Hurts us All by Justin Hubbell
- Statistics show exactly how many times Trans People have attacked you in bathrooms by Marcie Bianco
- Evil Deceivers and Make-Believers: On Transphobic Violence and the Politics of Illusion by Talia Bettcher
- 性别生物学与性的建构? By Vernon Rosario
Film/ TV/ web series