Panopto (Lecture Capture)
Panopto is a simple solution for capturing your lectures and offering them for later viewing. Panopto can be added to any course in Brightspace creating a secure way to record content or upload videos files from another source for students to view. Panopto has the ability to capture audio, webcam video, PowerPoint lectures with narration and screen captures with narration. Recordings can be created by downloading an app for Windows or Mac. Faculty can also use Panopto Capture to records lectures and screen recordings directly from the browser, no software to install!
New for December 2020: For faculty using H5P to add interactivity to lectures, Panopto is now a supported source in H5P Interactive Videos.
For students, Panopto offers integrated note taking, enabling the student to take notes at any point in the presentation to revisit later. Panopto will also create thumbnails or recordings and, if recording PowerPoint lectures, an interactive table of contents to help students jump directly to the most important parts of a lecture.
Self-service videos and guides for faculty are available in the Keep Teaching Community site in Brightspace.
- Log into Brightspace
- Once logged in, follow this link, http://brightspace.dixiedoessport.com/d2l/home/4142828 or look for the “ Join the Keep Teaching Community” button on the right-side of the screen.
- Click on Course Materials in the navbar and choose Content.
- Look for the Course Materials module then click on Panopto Lecture Creation.
- Additional tutorials are available from Panopto at: http://support.panopto.com/s/
- How-To videos are available online from Panopto
- System status is available here: http://trust.panopto.com/
- Additional faculty support is available through DDSHelp@dixiedoessport.com or 330-972-4455.
- Student support is available through the IT Help Desk: http://dixiedoessport.com/helpdesk/
- When I am going through my notes if I have any questions or confusion I can simply listen to the lecture. The recordings are awesome and so convenient. I wish I had them for all my classes. It definitely contributes to my success as a learner because hearing a lecture more than once is very beneficial to understanding the material.
- Refreshes my memory on the topics covered, focusing on the areas the professor deems most important.
- These recordings are very helpful because such a large class can be very distracting and noisy. Sometimes it is just hard to focus in class.
- I have found these recordings to be invaluable. Sometimes a concept isn't clear in class and after looking at notes and working on a problem, I will go back and listen to a section that was unclear. There have also been occasions where I thought I heard one thing, and we have moved on to a different part of the lecture and I have gone back to relisten for clarification.
- One advantage is being able to write down key things or examples that I didn’t understand at home. This allows me to understand the data at my pace and without distractions. This contributes greatly to my success as a learner because it allows me the ability to learn at my own speed.